United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You can ride in the snow, you just have to have good clothes. Keeping your feet warm is the tricky part. I probably wouldn't suggest it for a newbie though, it's just something that has to be done if you're getting base miles and hate trainers, like me.

I'm signed up for a mixed gravel/pavement century in early March, so finding base miles will require riding in all conditions. Of course it's 74 here at the moment, so it's not like I ride in a lot of snow.
I recently got some warm running clothes, which I will use for biking. I also got Pearl Isumi cap for under helmet. I can probably use my ski socks to keep my fee warm.

We don't have snow right now, but probably in a month or so we should get some. As long I can find good bike trail, I should be good, right?

What is gravel / pavement century that you signed up for? Is that like marathon for runners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
don't be. it takes time to get motivated/get a schedule going. i try to go biking with my friends every saturday, but usually a few people bail for dumb reasons (more likely they just aren't motivated to put time in)... my bike was about 1k total after swapping out parts and building (fixed gear), and the majority of my friends have carbon fiber road bikes worth at least 1.5-2k. you'd think the money you put in should be a motivating factor, but it's not really...

just take your time, ease in from 5 to 10 to 15miles and so on. i think if its not hard on your knees and you find enjoyable places to bike you'll love it.
I hear you about friends bailing out. Next weekend I will go on a ride by myself, because I cannot wait any longer. But the idea is also to ride with couple neighbors on weekends. Last weekend we had this crazy snow storm, so ride got cancelled. This weekend they could not make it. Next weekend they can't make it again. So, I'll ride by myself.

Thanks for the advise! I will take it slowly. After few painful "lessons" running I'll learned my lesson, and will not push too fast too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I've been frustrated as well by not being able to go out and ride. I spent the weekend sick as a dog. I also picked up a mountain bike for winter duties (2011 Trek XCaliber - Hard tail 29er).
I hope you're feeling better. That is some good looking bike you got.
Would 29 inch be harder to ride than 26 inch (until you pick up speed)?
BTW, where are you in CT?