tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Dundon Motorsports Exhaust

Mar 2016

I met Charles Dundon in Seattle when I was looking for support for the headers. He specializes in Porsche GT3 race cars, but we hit it off and he found the idea of building an exhaust for my wagon entertaining. He designed a GT3 exhaust that seems to be one of the best out there, applying real gas dynamics and engineering together with exotic materials then fabs it himself. The system weighs ~27 lbs and makes 25 whp over the stock GT3 system. And it sounds like Satan.

Here's a 9 page thread on Rennlist devoted to his exhaust:

Custom-built 996 GT3 exhaust 321 stainless

And here's a E90post I made about the project and results:

E91 N52 Exhaust - GT3 Style

That thread turned into a shit show, but if you can stomach through, it documents the build with pictures and videos.

My goal for this project was simply to drop significant weight, while testing ideas on scavenging for power. Sound was irrelevant for me, other than not wanting to be "that guy" in the neighborhood with the obnoxious pipes.

There was a dyno scheduled immediately after installation, but it was cancelled pending resolution of a drivetrain issue that would affect the data. Bottom line - no power or TQ data. The system is around 40 lbs less than stock. The sound is orgasmic over 4k, and borderline under.

Specs: 3" 321 20 gauge stainless, Vibrant 1142 resonator, Coast Fabrication custom 14" suppressor, Dundon venturi Y-merge, Dundon Inconel tips.

After living with this on the car for 6 - 7 months, I'm satisfied. The project was a significant part of the car's weight-loss diet and sounds great. Don't know if I'm adjusting to the exhaust or vice versa, but it seems that the sound has mellowed. The pops and burbles on decel are more than on the PE, and it sounds better than I've heard on an I6 > 4k. Below that it just sounds raw and aggressive. Not quiet, but not as raw as when it was new. The technicians love it. I will return to the dyno soon to wrap everything up with some numbers.

Here's one of a Dundon GT3 exhaust. Skip to 3:15 if you can't watch it all, but keep an eye on the volume.

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 10-17-2016 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 2