View Single Post
      12-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
That's also what I did as - similar to you - I still got too high oil temps after installing the AR oil cooler (although this one already dropped the temps somewhat). Right now I'd use the ER sports oil cooler that replaces the stock core with one that is double the size. In my case this has eliminated all oil temperature problems for me.
You can see what I wrote about the one I got from them in the thread in my signature - I wouldn't really recommend it. They seem to still make them though, but on special order apparently.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Thanks, I've seen your posts and if it is available this year; I'll likely pull the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I ran a 75/25 meth/water ratio, just like I do on the street. Big Willow is a fast track, but not as long/fast BIR or RA; however, with the meth, the air intake temps are staying cooler when you are actually flooring the car in full boost with the meth flowing 100%.

I'm sure you have done logs and seen other's logs and it's clear that IAT's drop from the beginning of the run, before meth is flowing, to the end where meth is flowing 100%. Obviously the logs are only for a few seconds and I've never seen a 20 minute log to see whether the meth flow can sustain the low IAT's for such a long duration; however, I remember Shiv commented on a thread a while back that it would help to cool oil temps in track use. So maybe he was spot on in this regard?

Since you have a Procede, why don't you contact him and get his opinion, and then track your car on both your 12psi map and also at max boost/power and let us know if there was a difference in temps
?? I'm not quite sure what you're saying/asking. Even though IATs stay cool[er] with meth; you are still at WOT for long durations of time; with no real chance for rest or cooldown. It will definitely help oil temps; but it's not the magic cure that will bring temps down to 240. Like I said before; Meth keeps my oil temps at 265 vs. 275-280 on 90* ambient temp days, which is quite impressive..but still in the undesirable range.

For the most part, the powertrain of my car has been relatively untampered with over the past year/10 track events as I was testing other components and needed all-else equal. I did encounter a few 335s and 135s who were first-timers on the track running normal street-map power and overheating (boost cut down to nothing) within 3 laps on a 80* day. One of them was running race gas and 17psi and race gas and he couldn't figure out why his oil temps were at 290 after 8 minute of hard driving, haha.

It's very simple; the more power/psi (regardless of meth), the higher the temps. In my [extensive] track experiences and testing with this engine over the past 2-3 years, I've gotten a bit of data. I'll look for the exact numbers I had in my computer from last year; but I have a good idea of the results.

At the long and demanding road courses with an ambient temp of 80*F:
12psi With meth: 200*Water, 265*oil sustainable temps. (Perfectly content, but could be better)
12psi without meth: 205*W, 275*oil sustainable temps (content, but undesirable)
14psi with meth: 205* Water, 275*oil sustainable (content but undesirable)
*14psi without meth/stock oil cooler: ~205* water, 280* oil..not sustainable (very undesirable)
*15psi with meth/stock oil cooler: 205* water, 280* oil stustainable (very undesirable)
**16psi without meth, w/race gas & clown owner: ??water, 280-285* oil after 10 minutes; reduced boost and limp mode (bad)
**17psi without meth, w/race gas & clown owner: ??water, 285 and higher after 10 minutes; reduced boost and limp mode (horrible)

* = Other car 1
**= Other car 2

Whew, long post
Appreciate 0