08-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #62
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e679 View Post
To make thing more complicated. The sways bar stiffness should also match the spring rate?
Keep in mind it is possible to make these cars too stiff in turns. Sways are more of a tuning tool; I consider the sway bar diameter to be at the mercy of the damper/spring combo. Install good dampers and matching springs first, then see if the car is performing as you want. If not match the sway bar to how much more stiff you want the car. Your car already has sway bars now so ... remember that too. I would go with stiffer springs before I changed the sway bars (assuming you have dampers to match).

That said the M3 bars are noticeably stiffer than stock sport pkg. Only upgrade the front one, the rear is unnecessary since we are not FWD.

Keep in mind that none of this will increase the maximum possible grip of your car ... it's just altering how the load transfer happens. Best way to get more grip is to get better tires.

Edit: Harold beat me to it.