View Single Post
      07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
bmw32atexi
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi Space Gray

OP Update:

Update. I always believe in 2 opinions so I called up a BMW dealership in the Toronto area (that shall remain nameless) and described the problem I had. After a few questions/answers, he suggested I bring it in and have it checked but very good chance the Tranny was trashed and I'd need a new one. He would also have to charge for diagnostics work regardless (under 200). Fair enough. I know transmissions are not cheap to replace.

So I took it down to my trusted Indy mechanic Darren at DC Motorwerx / Aphawerx on John St in Vaughan. He popped a diagnostic tool on it, got the error code right, did some research. He drove it and confirmed no reverse and no grinding noise. He described what the error code was and said the reading did not indicate a solenoid failure. He said error code indicated a problem with the gear selector rod. I told him to go ahead and open it up. I swear that within 20 mins he had gearbox thing off and was showing me exactly what was broken and why I could not go into reverse. He said it wouldn't be alot of work to get the parts and fix it. Sure beats a new transmission. SO, since I was thinking of changing the Tranny fluid because I was hitting the 100,000km mark soon, it spelled opportunity, since he had it apart anyways. The Tranny fluid was getting a bit brown I noticed but the interior parts looked brand new.

Anyways, got it fixed versus a new tranny. He did say in all fairness the BMW service shops would probably have gone through the exact same process. Maybe, but it would have cost alot more and who is to say they wouldn't recommend a new or rebuilt transmission anyways, I would not have known any better.

So basically I spent a bit more than a BMW tranny flush (gaskets, seals and tranny oil) would have cost me. I didn't know that tranny Oil Pan gaskets were so $@#$# expensive. They look so cheap. BUT, I swear the thing drives better now than it did before, I guess it's because of the new tranny oil. What a difference.

I was lucky but also glad to have taken my car to my trusted Indy mechanic.
Appreciate 0