10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #343
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
As previously mentioned makkan, BMWs hands are tied re: what they can do to lock out the OBD port. If they put a layer of encryption between the port and the ECU then a thousand and one independents and their customers are going to be rather unhappy. And there are EU regulations in force to stop them doing just that. If ways around that encryption are then supplied to said indies then obviously that will get out and we're back to square one.
Rich, with method 'a' suggested, OBD port will be disabled only when the car is locked. It will not affect the funtionality of the car and I cannot imagine if any indy will work on a car after locking it. So it is as simple as it is.

With mthod 'b', they need to secure the level of key's algorithm only and nothing else. But I can see that it will fail as it failed now. When e9x security system was designed, it was secure but now there are ways around it. If BMW improves the security of key's data (more specifically pulling out the information from specific module), people will find ways to crack that one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
The major failing as I see it is in BMWs poor security system for RHD cars and the fact that they haven't acted before now to do something about the sensor coverage. That obviously means the so-called upgrade will focus on as Hotcoupe says 'the alarm, the sensors and the blind spot'. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding things that's the only thing BMW can do.
Well I have tested both sides of UK specs cars (more than 1) and it is no surprise to me that NSF area is as incompetent as OSF.

I just hope that this update is not just the tweaking of sensors settings but hopefully more than that.