View Single Post
      01-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #920
Rennzenn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6mt sedan

Garage List
Board's been a bit quiet, so I thought I might share my holiday DIY maintenance. In early December my 2006 E90 overheated for the second time(117,000miles), so I knew it was time for a T-stat and water pump. Got the parts for about $450 plus $30 or so for a gallon of coolant, found the instructions either here or elsewhere online, and was all set. It was my first time for this job on an E90, and it wasn't bad at all...took about 4.5 hrs.
While I was at it, I also tackled a couple of other items. I changed the MT fluid for Redline D6. This made a significant difference in shifting - it's much smoother now. Before I would occasionally get a grind in 4-5 shifts, and that's now gone.
Last, I flushed the brakes in my car and my wife's X3. Used Ate Gold for both vehicles, and it took just under a quart for each. In both, the old fluid was pretty bad looking, [I]and[I]they both had lots of air bled from the rear calipers. I couldn't believe how much air came out of the rears on both of them! Neither seemed to have brake issues beforehand. I haven't driven the X3 much since the flush, but my car's brakes do seem a bit firmer.
Anyone else seen lots of air on a routine flush??
Happy new years! When's the next gathering??
Appreciate 0