Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
the photographers she was paying for must not have been that good.

if you're shooting jewelry, you'll want some lighting equipment, light modifiers, sets/backdrops/stands/boxes/fabric/material, gels, scrims, gobo's, flags, perhaps some models, hair stylists, make-up artists, photo-editing software, and a few books. and some time and patience.
They are good but she does a lot of work. Paying for many photo shoots become expensive. I appreciate the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
David, although rodi is right, I think he takes his comments to the extreme sometimes.

People have to start somewhere, and generally they don't have the bankroll that some people have. It's good to start with the basics, a decent camera, a macro lens, and some backdrops. You can use construction paper, fabric, etc for the backdrops. Play with different ones and test it out. That being said, I know lighting is of the utmost importance with macro photography, but I'm sure as you learn through practice and get better with your skills, the strobes will come in due time.

I say, be the best you can be with the equipment you've got. That way you can gauge what equipment you will want to upgrade to in the future (be it a better body, lens, strobes, pro models, etc).

Btw rodi, you don't need models to shoot jewelry, unless you plan on showing them worn. There are many good sites showing jewelry on various pedestals, positioned in certain ways, etc without any models getting in the way.
I have a lot of work to do. I appreciate the advice though. I'm gonna do a little bit of studying and then just go practice. That's how you learn, I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
ha! I have that book sitting on my desktop in pdf version.
Would you mind emailing it to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Sounds like you're getting into photography for all the wrong reasons.
Not at all. I've always enjoyed photography but I've never had the funds for it. Now, I'm basically killing two birds with one stone. I can start something I've always wanted to and I'm helping my mom at the same time. It's a win-win situation.
Appreciate 0