View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I thought about doing this too, but decided just to use a pump.

I don't believe there's any reason you can't do it, but you substantially increase the risk of "collateral damage" from a routine maintenance service. Do you know the precise torque specs? Is there a specific torque order? Any one-time fasteners (stretch bolts or whatever) used? What if something does go wrong? I'd recommend having a gasket and at least one new bolt on hand in case something goes wrong.

This is another case where overmaintaining a car actually makes things easier. If a fluid is changed "early" it doesn't matter if you only get 80-90% of it out because it's still in good shape. If you push your intervals as far as you can then you feel more compelled to get every last drop of filthy, expired fluid out of whatever it is you're working on.

I think I saw comments from Mike Miller quoted somewhere indicating that for the first time the longevity of a BMW MT driveline "remains to be seen" with the E90. For decades they've been overbuilt and you can have a high degree of confidence that they'll last forever. Now they made the gear rings smaller, cheapened the design of some key bearings etc... This tells me that high quality, aggressive fluid changes are more important than ever.

Let us know how it goes and if you run into anything interesting. Having no drain bolt is really annoying and frustrating to an over-maintaining DIYer like myself.
Thank you for the response.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0