05-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
You will need an intake off of a 330i, z4 si, 530i, or x3/5 si. The average price for a used manifold is around $3-500 from car-part.com. New from a dealer youre looking at $1k.

The tune will cost you between $500-800 depending on your location and exhaust you can price online.

Average gains for everything is hard to say. some people gain 30hp and some 45-50hp. All the mods listed should net you atleast up to the 330i spec.
The intake and a tune to take advantage of the intake should get you to 330i levels. A tune over that (which is guaranteed, since nobody produces a tune to just get the intake manifold going. All tunes that use the manifold will be higher hp/tq tunes as well.. I guess you could specially request the tuner only enable the 3 stage intake, but why if it's the same price?)

The best bang for buck with the N52 seems like a tune only. Everything else is such a small gain, that it's negligible. That might change if/when forced induction comes out (Supercharger/Turbo), but until then, intake -3 to 3hp?, exhaust 0 - 5hp? and a tune 30-50hp? There has been discussion of new rods and other hardware, but it sounded like the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. The only place that actually went through the trouble was a tuning shop that was making an NA e90 race car.