View Single Post
      06-07-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
shipo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5-Speed

In general it is my understanding that in Europe, non-exotic cars have a speed limiter built into the car that corresponds to the speed rating of the tires that the car was built with. Said speed limiter is typically set at 128-130 for "H" rated tires and 149-155 for cars with performance rubber. That same rule now applies to the E90 here in the U.S.A.

Back when I was working with MB-USA, they were dealing with a tire issue on the S-Class. Said issue revolved around the "Z" rated tires (IIRC) that came as standard issue on the 1992 and later S-Class cars. Unfortunately, for those of us who lived in colder sections of North America, those tires would "Flat Spot" when cold, and require a number of "thump-thump-thump" miles to warm up before they would start rolling smoothly. On of the options that MB-USA offered the owners of affected cars was to replace the tires with a set of "H" rated All-Season rubber along with a modification to the ECU to lower the top speed to 128 mph. The logic behind this option was rather obvious, I mean, how many S-Class Benzes have any of ever seen flying along an Interstate at speeds north of 128? The odd AMG Hammer or two? Yup, that's what I thought. Anyway, you'd be surprised how many folks refused the offer simply because their car "wouldn't go as fast" (conveniently ignoring the fact that their car hadn't even seen 100 mph yet, much less 128 and beyond).

Best Regards,
Shipo
Appreciate 0