12-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #220
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'll give it a shot:

1. I always replace sideshaft bolts as I have snapped them on my older BMWs. For the 6 bolts that attach to the sideshaft to the diff, I always tap the socket onto the bolts with a hammer to prevent them slipping. For the sake of a couple of Euros, why risk it? Also make sure you use m3 sideshaft bolts as they are different to the 135/335i ones. I bought brand new driveshaft to diff bolts as I didn't have them and replaced just the nuts on the gearbox side.

2. Buy a bentley manual as it should have the torque specs you require.

3. As far as I know, either side will work. I used the m3 driveshaft and shortened it from the transmission end as it was easier in my eyes to measure.

4. You need an E14 socket IIRC and a 36mm 12 point socket to remove the sideshafts. Both are pretty standard tools on BMWs. I would be more concerned about removing the driveshaft. I would highly recommend purchasing the AR Design spanner as it is perfect for the job and can be sold on after you use it.
Thanks for your input. So you are saying to replace all 12 bolts of sideshafts to diff?
I have them I was thinking to reuse them because they are not ZNS which BMW recommends to replace.
What about bolt supports (boomerangs)?

I have ordered for now drive shaft bolts (because I also didn't had them) and ordered nuts w/o bolts on gearbox side.

Also there is no bentley manual for M3 E92 I can't find it.

Few more questions how better to press out sideshafts? Because there is BMW special tool for that or to use simple hammer?

Is there some gasket under driveshaft bolts and bolt supports? Like it shows realoem.c*m
Appreciate 0