View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Leatherique dye bolster touch up

Just thought I would post my experience using leatherique "dye" (really more like paint) to touch up the wear on my E92s driver side bolster. Ive seen a lot of leatherique full color changes/restorations but I just wanted to do a spot touch up to keep my bolster from getting any worse. My car is pretty much spotless so the wear on my driver seat was starting to bother me, and it was accelerating since the top coat had worn through in a few places.

I ordered the kit from leatherique and they sent me dye based on my intereior color code, I tested it and the color was way off so per their directions I cut off a sample (found a tiny piece on the bottom of the back seat I could cut off....not much extra leather on these cars!), sent the dye back with the sample so that leatherique could make a custom color, exact match.

I read up about different techniques on their website and ended up doing the "wipe dye" method and feathered it into the existing color over many thin coats, so I didnt do the entire panel. I also used the dye on a few small scratches/defects/wear points elsewhere in my interior, example: the console edge next to the ebrake where repeated strikes with the seatbelt male latch had worn off some of the color.

It came out VERY good. Color match is pretty much perfect, any color variance you see in the pics is from the lighting conditions, part natural light, part garage lighting, different times of day, etc... The texture is slightly different as the worn leather+leatheriqe makes for a slightly smoother surface, but I gave it a light sanding with a scotch-brite later and got it even closer to stock. Compared to what it looked like before its a 95% improvement.....

Pictures are worth a thousand words!....before and afters:

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-12-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0