View Single Post
      04-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Staggered is for looks and the elimination of oversteer. The manufacturers and their attorneys love staggered setups because it induces much understeer which is much safer for the masses of brain dead folks behind the wheel.

It's fashionable it looks neat, but a non-staggered wheel and tire setup works great and shouldn't look "Odd" at all.

If you can get 245s all around that is probably what I'd do... I'm not sure on fitment of a 245 up front but I believe the sedan guys can run em' no problem.

Should result in more neutral handling and with our electronic watch dogs looking after us built in understeer is a little dated... Though I do like the staggered look myself... Go figure.

The thing is if you are not actually driving the car, and the front end pushes "Understeer" the correct and natural course of action is to lift off the throttle. The front end will come back in and away you go.

The problem with Oversteer, or a car that is loose is that the correct course of action is almost NEVER lifting off the throttle. Instead a healthy application of throttle and a steering correction is just the ticket. Something most folks that aren't into driving just cannot muster. Instead they lift abruptly and hit the brakes... Worst Idea ever when your rear end has stepped out and a complete loss of control is the result... IF the electronics are disabled.