View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #90
thompson134
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40D

Thanks everyone for your comments so far, I greatly appreciate them all. Like every MPG topic you always get a massive variation in peoples averages and it is extremely clear that the 335d in a urban environment is an extremely thirsty beast but can deliver good efficiency when cruising. For me the 335d would be an extravagance, I most certainly don’t need one and an 18d would suffice giving my commute and driving type. However, you only live once and if I was ever going to have such a car now is the time, when I have no major outlays for at least another 2 years. I think the best compromise would be a 330d with a manual box (but finding a good AUC under 1 year with the specs I want is impossible).

In order to provide a better comparison between my short listed cars, here are the 4 I was considering:

(NEW) BMW 118d Sport £26,560.00
Discounted ~ £24,400.00
Expected MPG 55

Deep Sea Blue Metalic
Interior Comfort Package
Visibility Package
Sun Protection Package
Ext. Mirrors - Folding and Auto Dimming
Anthracite Headlining
Service Pack

(NEW) BMW X1 20d MSport XDrive £32,600.00
Discounted ~ £29,300.00
Expected MPG 45

Space Grey Metallic
18" 355M Alloy Wheels
Comfort Package
Ext. Mirrors - Folding and Auto Dimming
Sun Protection Glass
Xenon Headlights
Adaptive Headlights
Service Pack

(AUC) BMW 335d M Sport ~ £28,000.00 to £29,000.00
Expected MPG 42

Less than 9 months old
Under 10,000 miles

(AUC) BMW 320d M Sport Plus ~£25,000.00 to £28,000.00
EXPECTED MPG 52

Less than 6 months old
Under 10,000 miles
Le Mans Blue Metallic
Professional Media Package
Visibility Package
Service Package
Heated Seats

I will be buying with cash and unfortunately don’t get any allowances from my company but then that also means I am not restricted . I should also point out that I also own a Ford Focus which I’ve had from New and is now 7 years old, the plan has always been to keep it and run it into the ground, I put about 10,000 miles on each car per year so I’m already accustomed to getting low 30’s in the Focus and it’s just nice to have another car capable of high 60’s.

One of the restrictions I have found with the 118d is that I have a bit of OCD in that I have to attain over 60mpg on each tank, I think this stems from the time when I bought the car, then I was putting 25k on it a year and purchased it simply for the economy otherwise I think I would have ended up in a 123d. I have now cut my annual mileage by about 50% but still have this OCD when driving my 118d but when I am back in the Focus I simply drive it and enjoy the miles much more simply by accepting it gets what it gets.

I have been speaking to my dealer today and they are trying to source a 335d for me to sample alongside the 330d they have.

Thanks,

Ian
Appreciate 0