View Single Post
      06-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Thanks chaps - keep the opinions coming! To respond to some of the helpful comments so far:

I'll look at the TT to see if I can get stuff to fit in it. I think the wife secretly rather likes them so I might not get many complaints.

I'd love the 2.0T A4 Cab, but they seem to be that bit pricier (though I might scrape one into my budget). I agree the points on a new version. though it is probably 18 months away and I still feel the old one looks good - hell even the old Audi 80 cabrio still looks pretty decent.

With the E92 facelift I'm hoping that:

a) It is probably a year away
b) The facelift is less noticeable on the Coupe/Vert as per the E46 facelift which if I recall was pretty minor compared to the saloon

A petrol version is worth considering, though I looked at 325i's and they only seemed about a grand less than the equivalent 330d. That would also bring up a manual/auto debate. To me, a petrol BMW ought to have a manual as you need to rev them more than autos tend to, but having a manual means the car would be more similar to my E91 so I'd get bored of it quicker (in my twisted little mind, sorry).

I'm going to check out the 123d, on paper it is brilliant, but I've come to dislike the tractor-like noise of the 320d, and though the 123d has balancer shafts I doubt it is that much smoother, which is putting me off. The looks are okay but not outstanding.

My budget does have flex, but I've already flexed it a lot - I'd be basically paying at least £100 per month more than I do for the E91, with more outgoings now I have an extra kid. Previous experience says I'll manage comfortably as I expect to get a pay rise in August, but I need to be a little careful given the rising cost of motoring.
Appreciate 0