View Single Post
      01-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #215
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The next step...

So after getting some much needed windshield time in the last month, I do now feel that certain sections of songs sound very bright to me, and certain frequencies just plain "ring" in my ears at moderate to high volume levels. I think I could probably put a bandaid on this problem by reducing the EQ in certain frequency bands, but then I would be wondering what else I would be missing (I have to assume at this point that the FR itself is perfect after the auto-tune and that any such ill effects would be due to the speakers (metal cones....), and not the processor).

I have been searching for a high-quality competition level midrange speakers to replace the (3) 4" mids in the front of the car. I have decided to go with the brand new speakers from Hybrid Audio, the Legatia L3SE.

These puppies are supposed to be BAD ASS, in a good way of course . These have a little less cone area than a typical 4", but they make up for it with x-max, a low FS of 120 Hz, and the ability to play up to 15,000Hz. This means if angled properly (less than 30 degrees off-axis), these speakers can play EVERYTHING between 150Hz and 15,000Hz, no tweeters necessary! In reality though, I have to say, the OEM mounting locations do not allow for such positioning - at least not on the driver's side - but I am willing to see how much the MS-8 can compensate for the drop-off in high frequencies due to the off-axis installation.

Installation will have to wait a few weeks, so I will report back!