View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman3msport View Post
Could do with some new discs and pads, front and rear. Don't know whether to go with OEM or try some drilled and grooved discs with a up rated pad? Has anyone tryed any other breaks and were they any good?
Thanks
Greg
Against mine and others good judgement I bought a set of those drilled-only MTEC discs (http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/) because they were really cheap and worth a punt. (£180 delivered for all four drilled on a 335i).

Horror stories of noise, warping and cracking rained upon me, my wheels would fly off, the world would end and I would be dead in a week unless I spent £500 on BMW discs....

But they are brilliant. No noise, straight as a dye, no squealing, no cracking, no vibrations - and they look great - changes the whole look of the car.

They actually vibrate much less (i.e none) under heavy use than the factory plain discs ever did - and I had the car from new.

I use them with EBC yellow pads (limited choice on 335i). The pads cost £30 more than the discs! But they work very well indeed, very sharp from cold, brilliant.

The only complaint was discs were still full of machine sudsoil and swarf, so I has to thoroughly wash them out with hot water / fairy liquid / hosepipe before fitting. But discs come greased anyway, which needs stripping off.

You could order them black coated too to stop rust, but theres was a gloss coating and I wanted matte, so I sprayed my own.

But you could equally just buy these discs with cheap Jurid/textar (BMW OE) pads from Eurocarparts, only about £80 all round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post
With regards to brakes, I asked the same question about my 335d and most seemed to suggest OEM brake discs with Ferrodo DS2500 pads although I think I'll be trying the Hawk pads over the DS2500's.
....except DS2500 are not available for 335i/d (unfortunately as they are good pads), but they are also not ECE R90 approved, so not road legal either

Last edited by doughboy; 01-25-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0