View Single Post
      11-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #1278
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Would like a little feedback after a couple detail jobs!

Hey guys,

So I have years and years of washing and detailing cars (at least once a week, all cars in the household) and normally wax the cars in the spring and fall. Poeple say I'm obsessed...I think I like to retain value

However, over the past couple of weeks I've started learning about paint correction. After spending what seemed like 30 hours on this forum section and reading the Detailing 101 thread five times, I placed an order thru Detailed Image for all the necessities.

The first car attempted was my 08 E90 335 in Sparkling Graphite. Not many swirl marks or scratches, just a lot of orange peel that I wanted to get rid of. (after reading the 'life of my M3" thread) The other cars include a Black Audi A4 and Cadillac El Dorado, both swirled a lot.

A couple questions:
--Does anyone have experience with Sparkling Graphite? It seems it is a Very HARD paint.[/B] For example, I had done the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on speed 6 with the orange pad FOUR TIMES, and saw no 'results'. After pulling the tape divider off, the polished side didn't look much better than the untouched side. The polished side felt a tiny bit smoother, but not significant. As I was expecting/wanting to see 3-5 microns off, It didn't seem to do much of anything. I will attempt to do it again with Meguiars 105, and perhaps the purple wool pad? Would you suggest the wool pad, or is that too abrasive for what I'm trying to do? The other cars swirl marks seemed to react better to the SIP and orange pad.

-- I used the Klasse Sealant Glaze, and it seemed to be easier to apply it by hand with a microfiber pad. Is this really less effective than putting it on with the orbital on speed 3?

-- Washing towels: I got the powder packs that I mixed with 3 gallons of water for the PADS, but what can/should I use to wash microfiber towels that have polish/sealant/wax on them?

--Klasse Sealant:
*****Is 3 or 4 coats overkill? If it chemically bonds to the paint, after the 2nd coat I'd think it would have no paint to bond to, so would it bond to the existing sealant and make another layer? I'm wondering if 4 coats actually gives more protection than 2
*****Is there a reason to not use this sealant on the windows? I know there are specific window products, but will this be just as effective?

Thanks for all the previous help guys, I learned A LOT from this section. I'd greatly appreciate advice for the questions above!
Appreciate 0