lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I hope I'm invited to participate?

The biggest issue here is finding a reliable method to determine knock retard is taking place. Prior to the BT cable and being able to readout and study the actual ECU timing tables from the BIN we used to think sudden drops in total timing advance equated to knock retard. The more severe the drop the worse the knock retard.

Since we've learned that this isn't the case. The "knock response" system is indexed by total timing advance, and broken in to long and short term trims. The further down either timing scale you are, the more aggressively the ECU reduces timing as a function of knock sensor feedback. So in a non-CPS offsetting environment the entire system is more sensitive to pulling timing based on feedback. This is a very good thing for safety.

To make a long story short, determing knock retard is taking place and to what degree requires some sophistication. Monitoring total timing advance is not sufficient.

Mike
Not sure exactly what you're saying. Does this have anything to do with any particular tuner's proprietary system of knock control?