View Single Post
      01-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

I just install this on my car last weekend. It’s pretty simple. I've should have taken pictures while I was installing it on my car.
  • Buy one to three rolls of 3M's double sided tape. (More is better; I was able to manage taping with two rolls). Use a cutting knife or xacto to peal off the red tape cover.
  • Thoroughly clean top section of the rear window. (Ideally: use mild wax and grease remover)
  • Perform a mock placement check. Does the arc of the spoiler match the arc of the rear window? Position and mark equal amounts of exposed window seal on the left and right sides. (On my car, the spoiler was shy of the outer rear window edge of the rubber window seal by about .25 in. on each side.) If the outer edges hover above window, then the spoiler is high center. Do not put tape in the center section of the spoiler.
  • On the underneath side of the spoiler, tape placement is positioned on the high or raised bottom surface. This is where the spoiler contacts the window.
  • Run 3M tape along the perimeter of this raised surface. Remember, if the crown the spoiler hits the only the center, then leave the center devoid of tape (8-12 inches). If not, run a strip of tape top, bottom (entire length), and sides.
  • Before final placement, center the spoiler which shows equal amounts of exposed window edge rubber. Stand back and check for centering one last time. Make adjustment accordingly if needed.
  • Now you're ready for final pressing. Firmly press down the entire length.
  • Stand back, admire you work, and check for overall tape adhesion.

*Note:
It took me about 20 minutes for this entire process. Most of the work was removing the red covering from the tape. I performed this twice because I found one side was not holding down. For personal insurance and safety reasons, I took it off and supplemented the entire middle section of the tape perimeter with a generous bead of silicon. This silicon tacks up in 1 to 3 hrs, cures within 24 hrs, and adheres to the window’s surface. Once it’s cured, there is absolute NO movement of the spoiler. I did not want it flying off at any speed.

There you go, I hope this helps you.

I'm not responsible for any future damage or injury.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 01-24-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0