View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
The suspension clunking, clicking, rattling, banging noise fix thread.

Over the years I've seen plenty of threads about people complaining about suspension clunks, clicks, rattles, bangs, and however else you can describe these noises. The threads are all over the place and it's simply hard to pinpoint and search for the fixes.

I thought a thread that combines the solutions for specific noises would be helpful. We can all try and describe the noises as best we can, and how we effectively FIXED the problem. To keep this thread clean, let's try not to just post questions in this thread, but just post solutions. Over time the thread will become a useful resource and may be a worthwhile sticky. Feel free to post links to individual posts or threads that have solutions.

I'll start:

Symptom: Clicking noise when the wheels go over speed bumps. The front suspension clicks when I go over speed bumps slowly. I can barely hear the clicks when hitting bumps in the road (maybe because the road noise overcomes it). Even when the rear wheels go over the speed bumps, I can hear the noise as it "twists" the car and the loads cause some clicking noises. There are no noises when I turn or take corners, only over bumps.

Solution: The front sway bar endlink was loose. One side of the endlink connects to the sway bar, and the other side connects to the shock on the front of the E9x. The nut that holds the endlink to the shock was loose on mine, about 1.5 turns. I removed the nut, added a drop of blue loctite, and torqued it back down. The clicking is now gone.

Notes: This was on an adjustable endlink from Hotchkis (I have Hotchkis swaybars front and rear). I ended up checking all the other nuts and added a tiny bit of loctite to prevent them from coming loose again.