View Single Post
      05-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #20
e36power
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberdave View Post
I have a different opinion of independent shops. I used a local one when I first bought my BMW. They only worked on German cars and quoted BMW prices.

But, it saved me a 2 hour round trip to the closest dealership. In the end they cost me more money because they used after market parts that failed soon after installation. A battery lasted 2 years. Rear shocks failed in the first year and BMW dealer told me they weren't the right size.

When I go to the dealer I know the job is going to be done right the first time and I have recourse in the event it isn't. As complex as these new cars are, would you rather have someone who occasionally works on a BMW as opposed to someone who works on them each and every day and knows all of the faults and gotchas?

Do you pay more? Certainly. But, my time is very valuable to me. I see the value in using someone who knows my product inside and out. This isn't to say that there aren't many good independents. There are, but, it's not like they around every corner.
This all depends on the dealership and the shop. My local dealer had a complete change over in their maintenance department. Prior to the changes, spectacular. I got a 20% discount off all work because of the amount of services I have purchased over the years. Rarely was an indy cheaper or more convenient. Then everything changed. New service manger. The last three times I brought my car in I had to bring it back because they didn't do the job right. The last time they didn't close the hood all the way. Driving on the highway 80 miles an hour and it almost flies open. That was the last straw.

My indy employs guys that used to work at another local dealership. They know what they are doing. They have three locations. They match coupons. They have competitive prices. I can call them and talk to them. They are great. And each time have done the job right the first time. Only draw back, no loaner.

I don't think there are any fair generalizations here.

Last edited by e36power; 05-18-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1