vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I cringe a bit every time I see someone cutting and modifying their bump stops:

They are designed to work like a spring with a progressive spring rate. If you cut the top portion of the bump stop, you are essentially changing the effective "spring rate" of the bump stop. So you loose a lot of the comfort because the softer portion of the bump stop is now gone.

This becomes an even bigger problem for a lowered car because you are now risking the possibility of the shaft of the shock travelling further than designed and therefore damaging the shock valves or even bending it.

Finally, when you hit the bump stops, you have exhausted all the suspension travel and at this point and your car handles like crap.

My advise to you is to avoid lowering the car to the point where you are hitting the bump stops. All kinds of bad stuff happens when you get to that level...

EDIT: If you were hitting the bump stops previously, then your springs are too soft, your car is too low or both.