View Single Post
      04-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #51
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The stock subs are sealed, that is the point.

By sealing I am talking about sealing the driver at the top, not the port that attches to the door sills.

BMW have designed the best thing for car audio since car manufacturing started, they have designed a sealed subwoofer enclosure, in the fornt of the cabin!!
This intergrates the bass with the front sound stage and negates the need for time alignment to get the bass/beats up on the dash board and in front of you, it is already there!! It also means you can cross your subs over at as high as 150hz so you get real mid range punch, and take away stress from the front speakers. Try doing that with a sub in the boot and it sounds awful, it is obvious the bass is coming from the trunk. Even when crossed over at say 60hz with a 12db slope I still have to have time alignment, I hate that 'beat behind you' sound'. Hear a system with time alignment pulling the speakers all together and it sounds so, so much better.
You could if you wanted stop all bass below 35hz going to these subs and add a 10 or 12" sub in the boot as well, below 35" direction starts to become less important. This would give you a serious system that would go really low when required but also be very musical too.

So when fitting these drivers buy a tube of sealent and makes sure the driver is completely sealed so all air is pushed into the sills as it was designed, if you leave a gap up top, no matter how small you will loose serious volume.
Appreciate 0