United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
It all depends on the track, but if it anything like the one I was on the first time out, there is no way the stock pads will hold if you have brake from 120 to 40-50 miles twice every other minute. Consider N54 with auto transmission like mine and OP, the whole chassis is probably 200l-300bs heavier than a manual 328/330i with super light Mg engine block, while probably carrying 10-20 more mph at the straights. So why skimp on the only thing is stopping this +3600lbs to metal?
No argument there. Last weekend at ECR braking from 105 to 45 or so wouldn't have been particularly good on the OE brakes. OTOH, it was the first time at that track and the datalogger shows clearly I was overbraking. Running with the advanced guys at the end of the weekend demonstrated they were running faster but also not braking nearly as much, taking every corner a lot faster than I could manage, easily braking only to 60-65, if that. Nobody was dropping any lower except in one of the hairpins and not by much. Was impressive to watch on-track.

The previous weekend saw the tires being overheated quite a bit since that track was more technical with more turns and tire pressure had to be dropped from 32psi to 28psi cold. Braking ability increased considerably as traction increased but the tires and brakes ran cooler as less braking input was required given the increased traction made cornering faster.

Punching it and parking it is fun but it isn't really fast. Was kinda funny at ECR catching and passing a new 550i, an M3, a Carrera S, and I don't remember what all else only to be passed by a Texas Track Works Civic CRX at the end of the weekend. And an M3. And a spec Miata. Datalogging shows clearly why along with the video, overbraking. I gotta run that track some more...

Easy to find out how hot your brakes are getting, some Alcon stickers and some Genesis rotor temp paint. A memory tire pyrometer is really handy too.

I guess it all depends on what your goals are, progressing to a racing license or just hammering it on trackdays. Hammering it is actually more fun I think.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0