View Single Post
      02-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Kal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Thanks for the replies.

I turned off my bluetooth on phone and found it to have the same problem.

Its booked in next week for two days so hopefully they can find the fault without charging me

After some research I found:

Quote:
I spoke with a large BMW garage in Germany and they were extremely helpful. They said the message most likely relates to an issue with the bluetooth connectivity and that I needed to remove my mobile from the iDrive and re-connect and phew, it was indeed the issue.

So, for the record, if you get such a message (SOS Call System Failure!) and it additionally messes up your iDrive, action the following steps:

1. Depress the CD eject, DVD eject and CD volume knob simultaneously until the iDrive screen blanks out.
2. After iDrive reinitialisation, remove your bluetooth mobile from the iDrive menu
3. Switch off, not sure it's necessary but that's what I did.
3. Switch back on and re-config your mobile back into the iDrive.
Quote:
SUBJECT
Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Message

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA609 (Navigation) up to 8/07 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) up to 8/07 production

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP ( Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) and Navigation

(SA609) up to 9/07 production

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) up to 8/07 production

SITUATION
An erroneous check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed. The BMW Assist™ system functions normally.

KOMBI Fault Code: A54 (Alive Phone) stored in fault memory when using DIS V51 or higher.

CAUSE
Software error in the RAD2 or CCC.

PROCEDURE

Verify the customer complaint. Make sure the customer's complaint is not related to SI B84 17 07 (SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU). Refer to SI B84 17 07 for any of the complaints below:
The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist™ phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.
Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth® enabled handset that previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.
RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.
CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.
Perform a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
Work through any Telematics Control Unit (TCU) and MOST-bus communication faults. Diagnose and repair as necessary.
or this

SI B 84 17 07
Communication Systems September 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 17 07 dated August 2007.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

SITUATION
A check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist™ phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.
Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth® enable handset which previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.
RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.
CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.
CAUSE

TCU Hardware failure.
MOST-bus communication issue.
Incompatible handset paired to the vehicle.
PROCEDURE

Duplicate the complaint.
Does the customer have a Bluetooth handset paired to the vehicle?
If no, proceed to step 3.
If yes, obtain the following information:
Manufacturer of the handset
Handset model number
Software number
Does the problem only occur when a handset is paired to the vehicle?
Note: Pairing on an incompatible handset can have adverse affects. Please refer to the 'Compatible Handset Information' section of this bulletin for more information.

Check the BMW Assist account status on DCSnet. The BMW Assist services expiration date and the TCU activation status can be checked on DCSnet under Service/Vehicle History Inquiry. Refer to SI B02 01 06 (Updated DCSnet Vehicle History Inquiry information on BMW Assist) for more information.
If the customer has an active BMW Assist services account, test the BMW Assist services following the information outlined in 'Testing of BMW Assist Services' section of this bulletin.
Perform a short test using the DISplus or GT1.
Is the TCU identified when performing a short test?
Yes, proceed to step 6.
No, are any other MOST-bus modules identified?
Yes, check power, ground and the MOST-bus at the TCU.
No, perform a MOST-bus system analysis.
Work through any MOST-bus communication faults. Diagnose and repair as necessary.
Check the MOST bus splice point for connection problems.
Check the MOST-bus optical connection. E.g. were the OPS/OPPS head is connected.
If anything was retrofitted on the MOST-bus (E.g. CDC, i-Pod, S-DARS, etc.) check the connections at the module that was retrofitted.
If you can not duplicate the customer complaint and there are no MOST-bus communication faults, refer to SI B84 16 07 (Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Messages).
If the DISplus/GT1 cannot communicate with the TCU, power and ground are OK at the TCU and the MOST-bus communication is OK; the TCU should be replaced. Proceed to step 9.
TCU REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

It is NOT necessary to obtain a Part Replacement Authorization (TeileClearing) for this specific issue. Refer to the Warranty section of this bulletin for more details. Additional information can be found in SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth & CPT9000 Phone Systems).
Refer to TIS (RA 84 11...) for the TCU replacement procedure.
Before installing the new TCU, remove one copy of the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) label and place it on the repair order for reference during warranty claim entry. You will be asked for the new TCU "ESN" when submitting a claim via DCSnet. Refer to SI B01 10 05 for more details.

The second ESN label of the TCU should be affixed over the existing label in the Owner's Manual insert (P/N 01 49 0 157 963).

Complete the TCU installation
Using Progman V26.01.00 or higher, program the complete vehicle. Refer to SI B09 05 01 "Coding, Individualization and Programming", Procedure A.
Initialize BMW Assist following the procedure starting at step 16.
Not entire bulletins but enough to help in search.
Appreciate 0