02-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #47
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I am an IT Professional and an MCSE (MicroSoft Certified Systems Engineer a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and am also certified in serveral flavors of Unix. I think I probably qualify as someone who has used a computer "more than twice".

I have a pre 2009 iDrive. I know how to use it, am not sorry I purchased the car with it and I would do it again, but I know enough about computers and programming to know a lousy user interface when I see one. IDrive (at least the pre 2009 version) is one of the least intuitive and most poorly designed user interfaces that I have ever seen. Trying to find a Costco, for example is ridiculously compex and you have to guess what category BMW stuck it in. Many of the functions require way to many "clicks" as you drill down through the menus. This can be very distracting to do while you are trying to drive.

That being said I use it every time I use the car and feel very deprived when I drive a car without it. But there is a LOT of room for improvement, at least in the older version, and I can see why many people find it very frustrating.

Being able to figure an interface out does not necessarily indictate that it is a good or intuitive design. I figured out Unix Shell Programing but it is not something that I would recommend doing while you are driving.

CA
I never liked Unix, anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
With all due respect, any forum is at its best when differing ideas are discussed and opinions and various points of views are shared on it. I think calling people crybabies for sharing their opinion on a subject is crybaby like in itself.

It is one thing to 'figure out the way the damn thing works'. It is a whole different thing to actually *like* the way the damn thing works.

And it seems to me that you are not a married man. As any married man knows, when a wife says she wants navigation, she gets navigation. Again, that doesn't make the said husband *like* that navigation.

You're correct, I didn't mean to be a crybaby I guess the consistency of the complaining is more irritating than anything else, since they are in a position to improve their understanding of the interface (having to live with it), but would rather complain about it instead.

And I have figured out the way the damn thing works, and like the damn thing When I do get married one day, I'm going to marry a woman who could care less if she's in a Mini or a Maybach. And she's gonna have to figure out the navigation by herself. Besides, we'll be owning separate cars, anyway

Even though I know I'm probably gonna end up taking that back when I get married LOL.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0