View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #316
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
You approached it all wrong. Just buy the "tune" online for $450 (put in quotes because all you are actually buying is a registration code in an envelope) and then show up at your dealer and tell them you need this installed and it should take about an hour. The SA will look a bit confused fro a few moments, perhaps need to talk with the manager but will take your car in and do it. Asking the service desk hypothetical questions just gives them the opportunity to put up roadblocks. Just be matter of fact about the whole thing. You can get the whole thing done for less than $600.
You could be right, but I risk having both dealerships in my area quote me something ridiculous to install this tune. Then I'm stuck. The one dealer I spoke with was familiar with the tune and clearly didn't want to install it for $250. Didn't even offer an adjusted price...odd.

I wonder if the envelope with the registration code also indicates the standard labor hours necessary to install the tune...that could be helpful.

What a PITA though. I guess it's their business to decide on what they feel is appropriate for the labor and tune price. And I have a choice not to buy it from them.