View Single Post
      02-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

my first zaino detail -- rate me!

After all of the great info and feedback here I decided to take the plunge and try a Zaino detail on my 1 week old E90. I used a coat of Z-2Pro/ZFX, buff off after 30 minutes, then a coat of Z-6. Repeated. So I have 2 coats of Z-2 and Z-6 on there. First, some observations:

(0) DavidN's recommendation (forgive me if someone else posted it before he did) of taking off the nozzle and letting the water pour onto the car from the hose was great! The water ran off leaving much less for me to dry! (Actually, I left the nozzle on, just turned it to the "shower" setting which lets water flow out with virtually no pressure.)

(1) After reading DavidN's sticky and the instructions, I decided to fill the 2 ounce bottle about 1/3 of the way with Z-2, so that I'd have just enough for 2 coats.

Knowing that this stuff is super concentrated, I spread it on very thin. So thin that couldn't really see it on my Titanium Silver car. I only saw the occational streak of the stuff--mostly looked like I was applying nothing. Is this right? (Sorry, no "during" pictures--thought of that later.)

(2) After letting it haze for about 30 minutes it was very easy to buff off.

(3) Used a very light spritz of Z-6, spritzing often as I went around the car. Again, very easy to apply to apply and remove immediately.

(4) I started off being stingy about how much Z-2 I was applying, and realized at the end that I even had quite a bit extra! I put the second coat on thicker, but still very thin (couldn't see it except for the occasional streak).

I was at my parents house this weekend (much eaier to detail in their driveway than mine) and my mom did her Titanium Silver E65 with Meguires Gold Class at the same time I did mine. I noticed very little difference in the look of the two cars after the detail was over. This made me wonder if I put enough selant on the car. Is this because of the color (e.g. if we both had black, mine would be shinier with Zaino)? Or is the main advantage of Zaino that it lasts much longer? This is one of the reasons that I question whether or not I did it right.

I found that the water sheets off my car pretty well, doesn't really bead that much. Maybe it's because the hood slopes down too much. You be the judge. The last picture shows the best beading that I could get.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0