C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The advantage of open source tuning isn't only the ability to get access to more maps/tables but also to have a much lower cost of entry for those who just want to by a tool for flashing to use off-the-shelf map. For example, when open source was introduced to the Mitsu/Suby world, the cost to flash your car dropped to $150. Before that, you had to pay $750 for a Ecutek or Cobb flash. Needless to say, in the Mitsu/Suby world, just about everyone replaced their Ecutek/Cobb devices with open source hardware. This is what is appealing about open source tuning for the vast majority of people. For the small minority of tune-saavy tuners, the ability to identify new tables, define new functions, etc,. is what is exciting.

Shiv
Hey Shiv,

Stupid question, and I hope I don't come off wrong, because seeing your support here really speaks to the kind of person you are, but being someone with a "for profit" tuning setup, isn't your support here a possible detriment to some of your possible future revenue? You mention the ability to identify new tables/functions/etc... as what is exciting for you, but I guess I've always viewed open source as a bit of competition to for profits.

I guess my question is why are you so open to supporting and contributing where others aren't. Will you be able to sell maps for use with open source hardware or, honestly I'm having a hard time really framing my question the way I want. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

I'm very open to financially supporting efforts here since I cannot add to the development side. Do you guys need help setting up donations or have you already done so?
Appreciate 0