View Single Post
      12-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Snow socks - quick review

I have seen all the threads about people having problems in the snow. This year I tried out 'snow socks' for the first time. I bought a pair of Weissenfels weissSocks. The idea seems pretty good, slip them over your tyres when the going gets tough anf then take them off when you are on clear road.

the good news is they work (sorry no pics). Tried the car with two on the driven wheels and with only one on. With one on the non-covered tyre spun easily whilst the other just gripped. With both on I could easily got to the top of the steep hill I live at the bottom of. Without the socks the car fish tailed like mad and would only get up the hill if very determined.

The bad news. Be very careful if you have larger wheels/tyres. Mine has the standard 18" M Sport alloys with 255/35 tyres on. With this combo it is really tricky to pull the 'sock' over the inside edge of the wheel. To fit the sock you have to pull an elasticated edge of the sock over the top of the wheel and behind the inside edge of the tyre from roughly the 10 o'clock to 2 O'clock position. With mine this required scrapped knuckels and lots of swearing. it is tight! I have 18" wheels with standard ride height. Anything more and you would need the thinnest wrists.arms ever to get the sock over. Comes off really easy though.

All in all a good idea. It comes flat in its own little bag so takes up little space in the boot but does give you significantly more traction. Just be very careful if you have lowered suspension and/or 19" wheels.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have any pics at the mo'. Chris
Appreciate 0