03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #69
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
These explosions we are seeing, while dramatic and making good TV news for the anchor men/ladies, are not the reactors exploding. And any radioactivity released in this steam is very limited and finite.

I am only now seeing some very good, clear reporting/explanation of the mechanics/events in the present situation. The latest BBC reports with good clear graphics have started to inform rather than speculate. I do think it is very important that the normal layman can be informed of the actual scenario and facts in a clear and accessable manner - this helps counter any (dis-)information supplied by those with any poilitcal agendas or vested interests.

I have over 20 years experience working directly in this industry - very closely with the Japanese having spent months at a time with the lads on site througout Japan.

Not arrogance or being a "know it all".

D.
There was some really interesting and impressive analysis from an 'on-site' journalist on radio 4 this afternoon. Firstly, the plant was designed to withstand an earthquake of this magnitude. Clearly this worked, which is impressive in itself. The reactor was apparently shut down automatically when the quake hit. The cooling system was powered by the reactor and when it was switched off diesel back-up generators took over.

The generators had some protection from Tsunamis (again very impressive), but the sea level went higher than the protection and damaged the generators. Battery back up kicked in, but when the batteries ran out the cooling system was lost.

Since then, they have been trying to cool the nuclear fuel with sea water and the explosions appear to have been steam venting under pressure as a result. One of the reactors has boiled dry twice and they are struggling to keep fire engines on site to do the pumping. One ran out of fuel and others were damaged in the explosions. All of the containment vessels are apparently intact. Amazing effort from the Japanese really.
Appreciate 0