View Single Post
      05-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

I think you are right! Now is the time to do it whilst I'm there. £85 isn't too bad at the end of the day...

I read this on another site and found it interesting:

The Importance of Braided Brake Lines

* Installing stainless steel braided brake lines should be one of the first purchases for ANY sportscar. Replacing the crappy OEM rubber brake lines has two major benefits: eliminating brake fade and reducing your maintenance. This will help to reduce water permeating through the rubber only hoses, braided are still rubber in the centre so there is still the possibility water getting in but its deffinitely reduced with braided lines but not eliminated.. there are plenty of cheap Halfords sheit out there so make sure you spend a few bux and get DOT approved ones!

Safety first: Eliminating dangerous brake fade

* Brake fade is the loss of braking power when your brake system overheats. When you apply your brakes, brake fluid is forced through the rubber brake hoses, squeezing your brake calipers and causing you to decelerate. A by-product of the braking action is HEAT which is bad for your brake lines. As the brake fluids heats up, so do your OEM rubber lines. Hot rubber lines will expand when the brakes are applied - instead of channeling the fluid towards your calipers, they expand outwards, robbing you of valuable braking power.
* Stainless steel braided brake lines don't expand when heated by your brake fluid. You will get maximum braking power regardless of the time spent riding. These brake lines may save your life one day.

No Maintainence & Peace of Mind

* Some manufacturers recommend their OEM rubber brake lines to be changed every couple years. Most stainless steel brake lines never need to be replaced - Most cases one purchase and guaranteed for life!