View Single Post
      01-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #21
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

It's not only the POI system that isn't great, but the other deficiencies are not THAT bad.

The voice instructions are NOT as clear as the Magellan. For instance, last night we were on the freeway and when we reached the interchange, the BMW lady said take the next exit and after that, she said bear left.

That's OK. But, not as clear as the Magellan lady. She would say, stay to the right and then stay to the left, all in one quick instruction, not two separate ones. Also, an interchange is NOT AN EXIT. So, it's confusing when the BMW calls it an EXIT. Also, since the BMW system calls it an exit, when there was a real EXIT just before the interchange, the BMW lady says take the SECOND EXIT (meaning the interchange change of direction AFTER a real EXIT). The Magellan instruction only uses the word EXIT when it's a real EXIT. It is VERY CLEAR. Also, the Magellan system rings a BELL just before you are to make a move. That is REALLY HELPFUL, because if it ever DOES get confusing, you don't do ANYTHING until you hear the bell. It's really good.

As to routes. They both do the same, basically. No real difference between them because they all use the same NAVTEQ data.

As to accuracy, the BMW system is a little delayed -- more than the Magellan. When you come up to an intersection, the Magellan system seems to know BEFORE you reach it and it gives you the instruction just BEFORE you have to make a move. On the BMW, when I have been sitting IN an intersection waiting for a light to turn green, the BMW screen still stays I have 50 to 100 feet BEFORE I reach the place I'm sitting in. Usually, only AFTER I turn the corner, does it say "0" feet for the turn. It isn't too big a problem, but it's confusing having it report AFTER the fact.

The BMW system refreshes quickly. It re-routes a little slower than the Magellan system. But, both are fine.

The nice thing about the BMW system is that it uses a compass and the a wheel sensor to report to the NAV system on turns. Therefore, if you are in a tunnel or parking lot, the BMW system will continue to move the map, etc., while the handheld's lose the satellite signal and don't really know where you are. Again, tunnels are rare, so it's not a spectacular win for the BMW, but it is nice.

Larry
Appreciate 0