View Single Post
      01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
E90inSC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 328i

Update - 1/18

OK, I spent the better part of my morning on Saturday doing some testing. My car is equipped with the UGDO / Compass mirror, so I had to figure out which wires were connected to the LED. Not an easy task. I ended up disassembling the mirror to figure it out. Once that was complete, I was on my way until I hit snag number 2.

IN the original DIY, it stated that there was a wire that was 0V (or drawn to 0V) when the car was turned on, but then went to 12V when the car was off. I could not find this wire. I traced every wire in all the harnesses in this unit with no luck. Maybe the wiring has changed since the original post.

Anyway, what I did locate were two wires which can be used. The first wire is constant with 12V, irregardless if the ignition is on or off. The second wire is switched by the ignition. It is 12V when the car is on and 0V when the car is off.

This makes the connection works as well, but means I need to add an extra relay to my circuit. I made one and bench tested it successfully Saturday night.

So I have gone back and ordered the parts I need to convert the prototype to a PCB version that will look cleaner. That will happen later this week.

Hopefully next Saturday it will be installed and blinking away.

I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0