01-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #63
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Update on the custom exhaust situation..

Again, mad props to Tully @ SDR Motorsport for all the fab work! (he has done the PE mod also, so feel free to hit him up)

So, as you know, i originally went a full straight system with the 100 cell race cat, and the iPE rear section which has mufflers. I decided that i would just pull off the iPE (which is now for sale) and do a custom Y pipe rear with no mufflers - this is what it looked like whilst i was deciding on tips:

The sound:

Absolutely epic on WOT!!! Turbo spool and whistle throughout the entire system.. with a nice 'raw' pitch and sound which sounded like pure performance with no muffling. Downshift burbles are more regular and simply addictive. (still nothing compared to how the iPE burbles and pops on the N55 though)

However, it was also plagued with rasp in the 3000k range, and drone everywhere in between. This is the first exhaust system where i've learnt the true distinction between rasp & drone intimately, and they are 2 very different things.

So i needed to address this... Following a thread here from a member in the States, the resonator of choice looked to be the Vibrant 1142 Ultra-Quiet Resonator - it was tested, and sounded pretty good on his car.

I waited for it to arrive along with the tips i had ordered, and headed back to to SDR..

The Tips:

Who ever said being different was cool?

So the picture i had in my head was completely different to how it was executed.. Mainly because i could not find exactly what i wanted, what i had in my head just didn't exist!! But i went with the closest variation that i could find..

Not great, far from actually..If they were bigger (to fill the entire outlet i.e. 3.5" all the way across), double walled (like the cyba tips), a completely straight top and bottom (no curvature) - I think it could be pulled off nicely <-- What i just explained was what i had in my head.

The ovals are now off and i've gone back to the more conservative quad tip setup.

The new sound:

The resonator has done it's job, the rasp has been eliminated, completely. The drone is still around in the 2500-2900 zone, but significantly reduced.

The turbo whistle has also been minimised and the sound i initially described as "raw pitch/pure performance" has also gone I'm hopeful that once the resonator builds more carbon into it, that some of these attributes will return.

On WOT, i'm not actually entirely sure how it sounds - it's almost like it goes into a supersonic mode and hits a sound wave that isn't all that loud (I really need to hear what it sounds like outside of the car).. BUT the upshifts just bang and explode which is pretty damn cool.

There's always a line of compromise that needs to be considered when you are chasing sound and performance, and i'm really super happy with where i've ended up.

Last edited by _ink; 01-28-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0