04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Once tightened, the ONLY thing supplying any sort of force are the conical surface of the lug bolts and its associated mating surface of the wheel, and the threads engaged in the hub.

I once took a car with a hub size of 57.1mm, put on wheels with hub bore of 64.1mm SANS centering rings, and an 8mm spacer to Sears Point. IF the hub lip is integral or added any strength to resist lateral forces I would have been in a wall. There was a 3.5mm space between the hub "lip" and the wheel bore, plus a spacer in between on all 4 wheels.

Trust me. The extender on the hub is mainly to allow you to center the wheel so you can easily bolt on lug bolts. Once properly tightened, the hub lip experiences nearly ZERO road force. The problem here, of course, is without said centering of the wheel, there's no way to know for sure if your bolts are experiencing any sheer force while being tightened. That's why you have to tighten it half of the way first, then another half of the way, then all the way to 88 ft-lbs so the bolts will have a chance to properly and gradually center the wheels.
Thanks for the concise info!! I just finished installing everything and followed your advice, haven't had the chance to take it out but I now feel confident that everything will be good to go!

And if anyone wants some hookups on spacers, lugs and studs PM Project335i! He is great to work with and knows his stuff, very attentive too with quick responses to emails!
Appreciate 0