04-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #66
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNYATLANTA View Post
So, I was discussing this procedure with a BMW master tech contact of mine & he stated that he COULD do it for me but he advises against it, due to the probability of damage to the intake & turbos?? Do any of you guys that have specific knowledge of this procedure have thoughts on what he is saying about the walnut blasting?
not sure where he works...but its strange that as a dealership they dont do walnut blasting on a regular basis? We do...and its completely harmless when it comes to damaging metal? The walnut media is borderline soft and its more abrasive than it is hard...thus the damage it could cause is null and void as all it does is scrub. It removes the carbon because its softer than metal. Id say the likelyhood of damage to the vehicle is more related to operator error or damaging things while removing them than the actual carbon cleaning process. On top of that-do you think that multiple big name auto manufacturers would have this process used to clean their engines if it wasnt safe?
Appreciate 0