05-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #36
davipt
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
+1.... On your 1st post you bumped a thread that is older than a year.....
Oops, haven't noticed the dates... got here through a link (or a search) related to key configuration and felt like replying to the last comment. You see, I'm very sorry for my friends with 1 and 3-series that have been constantly plagued with iDrive issues and with the BMW answer to them - BMW doesn't quite know what really is wrong, but simply do the "microsoft" way, and "reinstall the system and perform all available system updates", which feels like an insult for us with a technical knowledge on computers.

Please note that this is not a "my x3 doesn't have idrive hahaha", but more a "oh no, I'll be damned when my X3 lease ends and I'll be forced to have an iDrive on the next car". I'm sure that if every unsatisfied BMW driver would go to bmw and said "we even like the idrive and everything, thank you, but please take this bill gates out of the system and use something more stable like linux embedded".

I'm sorry for being off-topic. So, to get back on topic, let me say that there are plenty of settings available to configure on the keys of pre-idrive cars - the manual has a list of everything, spread through all pages -, and those are much more than the official "form" available via google search. I'm glad most of those settings can now be configured by the owner himself via the navigation system, but I wonder how many of them are available...