View Single Post
      01-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Again, guys, thanks. I should add that I also ran a 1989 Acura Integra to 230,000 miles (that one was almost all highway miles though) too. The E30 (also a 1989) was my wife's daily driver until I took it over from her at 120,000 miles (when she bought a Z3) and I drove it to 256,000. So getting a car to 200K is not that big of a deal for me.

I would like to observe that having taken an E30 and now an E90 both from new (zero miles) to 200K, the E90 has actually been less problematic than the E30 (in defiance to Mike Miller - sorry dude). I think the E90, the '06's anyway, are very well built cars. We'll see how she does going forward to 250,000.

My dilemma is I really see this as my last BMW. The new F30 just doesn't do it for me. I can't see BMW's turbo motors going as far as the N52 without problems (based on the history of the N54). I have to say I didn’t expect the N52, with all the fancy VANOS and Valvetronic hardware to go 200,000 trouble free (okay, I did have to clean and swap the VANOS solenoids, but that’s minor). I also hate the idea of having electric powersteering, and I really have no desire for an Ipod sticking out of the dash. Add to that no naturally-aspirated in-line 6 and a manual transmission that is really the secondary trans choice, it makes me think BMW is getting away from what attracted me to the brand back in the 1970s.

I'd like to keep the E90 for a long time, but reality says I have another few years with it at 38,000 miles per year before it will require too much maintenance to use as a daily driver. So lately I've been thinking of preserving the E90 and getting a new DD now. But an E90 is not a garage queen by any stretch of the imagination and it would just end up rotting away from dis-use. Dilemma....

I'll keep you posted on how she does getting to 250,000, my planned retirement age for her. If she's good at 250,000 then we'll see what I do. The engine is consuming a quart of oil about every 8,000 miles now; down from about 16,000 miles when new. But all the power is still there and my MPGs have dropped a bit. She used to average about 27.6 MPG until about a year ago. Good news is I'm way out front in mileage to most of you guys and will let you know what comes up.
Appreciate 1