09-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #339
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Understood, however in this particular case to recode the car requires that this CIC P/N be recognized as part of this VIN VO to then code the CIC to the car's VO. Although 609 is the code for Navigation in the VO -regardless if it is CCC or CIC- ISTA/P will not recode the car and much less that CIC because of this "strange" P/N found when going thru the module P/N verification process. So the recoding will fail not because of the VO code, but because of the P/N related to that code. The VO will have to be changed to "register" that CIC P/N into that 609 code, IMO.

That's what I don't want to do unless there are some guarantees that it will not mess something else up down the line.

There's already one documented recoding failure in the M3Post forum due to the car in question having the new controller installed with the old iDrive.

I will try to see first if by just getting these FSC I will make a new CIC to "talk" to my audio options -on top of the NAV and Voice enable- without any VO change. If what you are saying about the FSC not doing anything else but enabling the Nav and Voice ends up being correct then I will decide what to do next...
Makes sense, and frankly I didn't think of that. I'm surprised the CIC doesn't have a separate option code.

That said, the VO is a very simple list of option codes, no part numbers are involved. That's all on the progman/ISTA/P side. Still, you may be right, based upon the build date it may get confused when it sees a CIC.

Time to experiment!

As I said earlier - good luck! And please keep us updated!