View Single Post
      01-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #66
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
OK, so it seems a few of us audio "maniacs" are just not happy with the midbass in our cars, no matter what we try. The SWS do fairly well, but let's face it - they're designed for sub-bass, not midbass. Only the Space 8 driver fits in the OEM enclosure, but it is damn expensive and its performance potential has surely been compromised by the shallow design (reviews I have found are not that great). If you build a custom sealed enclosure for some of the handful of shallow 8" mids out there, you would have to be concerned about the enclosure volume being too small for these drivers to play reasonably flat and down to the 50-60Hz range.

So I was thinking just now... what if you took the OEM enclosure out and put some sort of baffle board on-top the "hole" in the floor, sealed it up really well and then installed an IB midbass driver... wouldn't that be physically possible? This would maximize the airspace behind the driver, especially if you consider the existing "port", and essentially turn this into a true IB installation like a car door, for example.

Just food for thought, in our quest to achieve some decent midbass response in our cars.
Morel ADMW SW 9"

http://www.janixworld.com/330xi/stereo/post/

Appreciate 0