06-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #38
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnew
Secondly, the first IPOD kit available (for non IDrive cars) is excellent - and the sound quality is better than from CD simply because you can use equalisation from the IPOD to improve the sound profile. So if you use AAC or lossless or even hi bitrate MP3 - the sound will be good or subjectively better than the CD source even if technically it is still inferior.

The controls I have which are being updated with the MOST kit, are very good and allow almost everything to be done from the steering wheel. The display shows genre, artist, etc and shuffle and of of course all the details. It shuts off the iPOD when you turn the ignition off - the only thing it doesn't do well is remember where you were last time.... but I need to play aorund with it a bit more to see if there is a way around this. Its a great addition to the car and a must foro iPOD owners.
So as not to confuse anyone, let me explain what simnew is referring to. Outside of the U.S., BMW made an analog iPod Interface available for certain E90s that do not require a MOST connection and do not have navigation. It is essentially a kludge, as it requires the buttons on the steering wheel to be replaced with dedicated buttons for the kit - plus it requires the placement of a screen near the air vent since the kit doesn't communicate with the car, and hence cannot display information on the MID or iDrive displays. Once the buttons are replaced, they are useless for anything else and only can be used for the iPod since they are directly wired to the controller.

It is not a question of this kit being updated (further clarifying what sim said about the controls "being updated with the MOST kit").

This was an interim solution and nothing from this kit is being reused in the new offering.

Other than the fact that it allowed an iPod to transfer its sound to the car (although not via a fibre optic connection), it bears no resemblance to the new MOST kit.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member