View Single Post
      07-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #41
roadluvr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Same possible problem...carbon build up...need help as well

I drive a 2010 335d now with 75k on it. SES light came on a few months ago and after a diagnostic test by dealer, was told that they cannot find problem but are pretty certain that it is carbon buildup on the intake valves and to clean this up it will cost $6000. Car is paid for and I did not buy extended warranty. BMW in goodwill has offered to pay half but I want them to pay all since I think this is a problem with the model based on the posts here. I called Customer Service and ended up talking to same woman who responded to this thread, Erin Waugh. She told me that BMW would do more than half.

Dealer told me that the clean up does not FIX the problem, only alleviate it for the time being. I did a lot of research before purchasing this car and was told that buying a diesel was so much better than gas because diesel is much easier on the car so there will be less repair and longer life. This is now appearing to be not the case. If there is no fix for this issue, then wouldn't that be a manufacturer responsibility? And if there is a fix, shouldn't the manufacturer cover it?

I am asking if you were able to collect a bunch of VIN numbers with this problem.

Please share with me the outcome of your efforts in January and I also welcome any others having this problem to post. The more we have, the stronger the case for BMW to take care of this.

At this point, as much as I loved driving this car, I may have to part ways due to the very high costs of just cleaning the carbon build up every ??? miles. I had planned $2000/year in maintenance costs when I made the purchase but now it is appearing to be a lot more which is unacceptable.

Look forward to feedback from other owners.
Appreciate 0