View Single Post
      03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

330d gone, S5 cab the new motor

This is the spiritual successor to my 335i that got written off last Autumn when someone crashed into it when it was parked. Whilst that was sorted out I ran a 330d that I bought from TMP who was selling at the right time for me.

So, after 14 years of BMW ownership no longer is there one in the household, I give you the Audi S5 Cab which I’ve now had for 2 weeks and 1200 miles.

I test drove an IS-F, 911C2S and a E90M3 with a budget of mid £20k’s in mind. Ultimately it came down to having something nice but with a good dose of practicality. [Wife and 2 kids]

The car I’ve got in a 2010/10 one owner example with extras’ including a B&O sound system, Heated seats, HDD nav and a towbar!.

Its great to be back in a petrol, especially liking the sound (although not as good as the 335i), loving the S-tronic 7 speed box, and love the fact the boot is large enough to get golf clubs and trolley in with the roof down. And the stereo is ace. And its got folding rear seats.

Without saying how exactly how much I paid, it was almost certainly the cheapest in the UK – there isn’t one on Autotrader any cheaper for example. And it was from an Audi dealer – warrantied up and presented like new.

Mpg is not its strong point, although I am enjoying myself, averaging just 21mpg so far, squeezing just 300 miles for a tank. With the roof down and deflector up, cruising at 80 on the motorway is a a breeze, and with the roof up, it genuinely is quieter than the e92 used to be.

Handling wise – you can tell its 1.9tons, but with 4wd and 333bhp it still goes well. Not quite 335i fast but not far off. Frankly it feels hewn from rock. Very solid.

I’ve also just had a towbar mounted 4 bike carrier delivered to make the most of the tow bar and the great outdoors

So I wont be posting on here as much as I used to, and no idea how long I’ll keep it, but I’m sure going to get the roof down as much as possible and give it the beans whenever I can. …
Attached Images

Appreciate 0