03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #98
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
To clarify my view of it, we connect amps to the battery because it can handle the direct load better - otherwise we would connect directly to the alternator to power the amp. With the amp draining the battery, the stress is removed from the alternator and then the alternator re-charges the battery at its own pace. If the battery were totally drained from the amp, then the amp would attempt to current pull current from the alternator - which would put a bigger stress on it than just to re-charge the battery. This is not to say that the alternator has no stress, just that it is less than the load that is put on the battery.

I lnow we are getting down to details that probably don't matter very much, but is there anything wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks.
We connect to the battery because it's convenient and it smooths the current delivery. Also, you can't connect directly to the alternator because the alternator outputs AC so the earliest in the chain you'd be able to connect would be after the regulator on an externally regulated alternator. And then we're back to the issue of convenience. Have you tried getting to your alternator to make a connection? We're not talking about a late 80s S-10. Anything made after the mid 90s is typically a PITA to get to the alternator let alone finnagle a new connection to.
Appreciate 0