SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Although we ensure that all of our vehicle components are manufactured to the highest standards, corrosion will form naturally on hubs due to the iron used in their manufacture. Iron is used due to its robustness and ability to handle extreme temperatures without warping or fracturing. While I can appreciate your disappointment with the aesthetics of the surface corrosion, I can advise that this does not affect the performance of your vehicle and is not a manufacturing defect. There are a number of external causes which can contribute to the increased corrosion of hubs, including stone chip damage, non approved cleaning products and grit on the road during the winter months

Although you are looking for a solution to this problem, surface rust on wheel hubs has affected vehicles for many years, but due to the increased popularity of alloy wheels, has only become apparent to vehicle owners recently. the metal surface of the brake hubs cannot be lacquered or protected from external influences, as this area heats up due to regular brake usages.. Any protection coating will wear away or melt from the metal’s surface. Powder coating risks interfering with the wheel balancing and is therefore not an option considered by BMW Germany.
Hmmm, I wonder why the silver paint that was applied to the rotors when they were manufacturered doesn't burn off with the heat of braking. Maybe they should try applying a second or third coat. The bit about powder coating does make a little sense.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0