06-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #55
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Check, money magazine, msn, cnn, forbes etc.

If you change cars every 3-4 years, deduct the payment(like real-estate agent as part of business expense), drive close to the lease terms usually 12k/15k a year then lease make sense. Anything else buy makes more sense.
Unfortunately, it just isn't that simple. There are an awful lot of assumptions built into those articles that end up in the money magazines. You need to know all the numbers to know whether that's true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
To use the money invested to gain 9% (like the above posts) is just gambling. If you think that makes sense, why not go further, take out equity home loan at around 7% right now and buy stocks which on average return 12% over the last 30 years.
You may live in your leased car before long if you do. .
People do things like this all the time. I wouldn't do this with a home equity loan, but if I had $300,000 sitting around and wanted to buy a house, would I pay the cash or get a 30 year mortgate at 6%? Depending on the associated costs, I would probably take out the mortgage, because over 30 years I am virtually certain to beat the 6% interest rate (which is actually less than 6% after taxes) in the market.