View Single Post
      02-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #17
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Don't know why you guys are bagging on this guy. He's asking for an honest help/opinion.

The reality is, after all the time and money spent, you'll end up spending more than if you had just sold the 328xi, take a little loss, and find a moderately used 335i or 335xi.

The 335i has tremendous amount of more components not found in the 328i. To give you a list, these are the components you'll need to buy if you just buy a long block (N54 motor only, no accessories)

1) exhaust setup - down pipes, and probably complete catback, dual exhaust/muffler etc.
2) vacuum canisters for the turbos
3) turbos and turbo oil lines, coolant lines, etc.
4) high pressure fuel pump
5) intercooler and intercooler piping
6) oil cooler and oil cooler lines, and oil cooler vent for the passenger side wheel well
7) radiator and related
8) all charge pipes for both sides of intake
9) 15ft. of vacuum hose
10) mechanical vacuum pump
11) the oil filter housing with oil cooler chamber/intergration
12) diverter valves or blow off valves if you want to go after market
13) possibly new motor mounts and front subrame... the old 335i subframe before May 2018 would cause belt to shred and sucked into motor when motor shakes and contacts subframe

I probably missed some others but these are just the things to get started.... it'll be a fun project. It's doable, not impossible. Come on, they put a Viper engine in a Honda Civic hatchback....
Appreciate 0